Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Candidate Signs and Vacant Buildings

Now that the local silly season is in full effect, candidates are pulling out all the stops to get their message (“Hey, here’s my name...vote for me!”) out to the local citizenry.

A loyal WayneWho reader sent us an essay on some of the sites which have been accumulating candidate signs, along with some photos. Since this is a mostly PG-rated blog, we can’t reprint the essay, but we think we can pass along the message.

While local businesses are certainly members of the community, and often have locations with high traffic counts, we wonder about the decision of some local candidates to post their campaign signs on vacant and undermaintained commercial properties in the area. Perhaps some of these thoughts appear in the mind of those involved in the transaction:

> From the candidate - “This property owner is my friend, and they want to show support for my campaign.” “This is a great location, and I need to have a sign here, even if the property looks awful.” “By the time they stop by to visit the property, the election will be over anyway.”

> From the property owner - “I need this candidate to be elected so that I can realize my goals for this property.” “The more candidate signs I have out front, the less attention Code Enforcement will pay to my property.” “What? There are candidate signs on my property?”

With all the rhetoric in the campaigns about revitalizing the community, perhaps candidates could take this first small step. Reconsider whether your campaign really needs the publicity of posting your name on an undermaintained vacant commercial property.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just click on picture number 2.
Isn't it funny how you have the Three Stooges signs on the vacant property? Isn't it amazing how you can do what you want in the City, especially if you are presently a commissioner or a former commissioner with no agenda.

Anonymous said...

What is really true, is that they all represent "good ol boys". I think its funny though that some one running for property appraiser puts a sign on a really, realy bad piece of dirt. You are right about the commish though, code enforcement wont touch them. Isn't this one in Pat Fishers territory?