Friday, July 27, 2007

Build it and they will come?


On Monday, the Osceola County Commission will vote on whether Osceola County will participate in the Central Florida commuter rail project. The largest factor appearing to weigh on this decision at this point is the funding mechanism, which has been restricted to a single option: a gas tax of up to five cents per gallon.
We have had many lively debates at the WayneWho Center for Government Assessment over the value of the commuter rail line to our community. Like the community itself, we have positions that range from total boondoggle to a needed piece of our transportation infrastructure. Some of the comments we've received this week mirror that diverse opinion.

The last-minute funding debate frustrates us. The intent appears to be to force a larger-than-needed gas tax through by using time pressure to prevent analysis on whether the tax amount proposed is the tax amount required.

More frustrating, though, are some of the facts being offered in support of the project. The Chamber of Commerce, which seemlingly had not taken a position on commuter rail until last week, suggests that commuter rail was a major economic driver for Charlotte, North Carolina, after they received a $500 million grant that Central Florida gave up the last time it was offered.

Our problem with that statement is twofold: First, that Charlotte rail line does not become operational until this fall, so we don't yet know it's impact. Second, many of the experts who have worked on these rail projects note that the success of the rail option is directly tied to the development plans around the rail stops. In order to be successful, rail stops must be surrounded by so-called walkable communites, which have a high density of potential riders within walking distance of the rail stop.

The development plan is the part that appears to be missing in this project. It instead appears to depend on a "park and ride" approach, where commuters will exchange a longer highway drive for a shorter drive to a train station parking lot. As far back as July 2006, the Orlando Sentinel noted that Central Florida planners seemed to be taking a "wait and see" approach, rather than proactively planning the stops in areas that held the density, or conversely, planning density around the stop locations.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-railmain1706jul17,0,2499492.story

While that system may have worked when the train was going to be funded using existing sources, the imposition of a new tax is going to create public pressure to show results. Passive "build it and they will come" planning is not acceptable in this scenario, and that is the missing link that may derail this project.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am tired of the double talk. All I know is that I will not vote for another politican who raises my taxes, and I live in a district where we will have a race in 2008.

Anonymous said...

$30 Million in the bank and they are going to screw us with another tax? I used to believe that our elected officials were trying to do their best for the community, but with everything that I have seen happen over the past couple of years, it is not about community anymore.

Anonymous said...

Just a quick calculation of the 5 cent gas tax and what I normally drive in a year, and I figure I am going to buy the county a 32 widescreen lcd TV in a year. Might be a bigger one if the price keep coming down. Thanks guys.. Really appreciate it...

Anonymous said...

Development around the stations will definately maximize the system's success, though its not necessarily critical. Park and ride works for rail systems in established spread out suburban areas in Illinois, NY, California, NJ, Connecticut, etc. The key will be for this system to expand over time to get people to where the jobs, entertainment areas, and airports are. We need to keep that in perspective and remember that you get what you pay for. Crying about pocket change taxes at the pump to fund a long term solution to the traffic problems we've been whining about for years won't get us there. And no matter how hard we try, there are no magic candidates out there who we can elect to solve all our problems at no cost to us. Especially given all the mistakes of the past we have to correct.

Anonymous said...

I do not consider taking $10.00 a week out of my grocery budget pocket change. My husband and I work to put on our table, not into the governments special project division. I know some of you like paying taxes, but that is not why I go to work everyday.

Anonymous said...

I am 20 years old and I live in Harmony with my parents. I work at Disney and I am enrolled in Valencia Community College and I plan on transfering to UCF in another year. I spend alot of time on the roads almost everyday. My parents are doing fine, but like many people that are not making the same money they were a year ago. They are helping me pay for my classes, but not all of it. I am paying for most of it. This will hurt my finances pretty bad. I hope they do not pass it all.

Anonymous said...

For the commenter a couple of posts above, I have a simple question. How do you know that light rail is not one of those mistakes that at some point in time in the future we will have to pay for. We are talking about a gas tax on only this once piece of t "mass" transit system. This train is not "mass" transit. It is only a small piece of the puzzle. How much are you going to charge me for the next piece? I also do not think it is funny to make fun of people who are not as financially successful as you. Just because government overlooks them, does not mean it is the Christian thing to do.

Thank you WayneWho for opening the debate on this issue. At least somebody listens to the people.

Anonymous said...

One of those mistakes is the Osceola Parkway. Thank You Former Comissioner-turned-Mayor Jim Swan!!